Tuesday 5 July 2011

Super 8





I finally saw Super 8 at the weekend with the Chi (my girlfriend). There was a key scene in the movie, for me at least. It was when the group of wannabe film-makers were filming Alison for the first time and it was the best piece of acting in the whole movie. The kids thought so too and were blown away by the sincerity of her performance. I liked this scene because it let me take the rest of the movie less seriously, with a pinch of salt. It said "these people can act but this is an adventure, so just enjoy it", which I did. The script varied from being great and funny and the homage to 80s Spielberg-esque kids adventures (ET, The Goonies, Flight of the Navigator, Stand By Me) that it was meant to be, and giving out lines that were so corny and stinky that even the audience laughed in the Japanese cinema where I was watching it. The moment that springs to mind is where the chubby gang-leader admits that he also fancies Alison. 


The film starts out much better than it ends, as it starts tripping over it's feet as the pace gets faster and faster, but that's ok. It's a homage to the kind of movies people don't make anymore. I don't know why they don't, it's a shame. Maybe Schindler's List killed them off (not that I'm blaming the Jews after all they've been through already) but this was a welcome return for the kind of kids-together-against-the-world movie, which lets you reminisce and enjoy the journey, just like them. Enjoy! 


Oh yeah and the army guy isn't Biff from Back to the Future. But I thought it was all through the film and it was AMAZING!

No comments: