Thursday 7 July 2011

Caspar David Friedrich (AND Frederic Edwin Church)

I can't remember what I was taught about this guy and I can't find my favourite painting by him either, so here's a few great ones that I did find. It's man against nature I think, or rather the awesomeness of nature in the face of man and the new age of materialism in the west. I'm pretty sure that's it in a nutshell. I'll have a dig around tomorrow and report back. 



  1. Polar Sea (The Destroyed Hope)
  2. Cemetery
  3. Wreck in the Moonlight 
Aaaaaah, ok, I figured out why I couldn't find my favourite painting by Caspar David Friedrich (and why I though he was American). It's because I'm an idiot and the painting I was looking for was actually by Frederic Edwin Church (who was American). THAT painting is called Twilight in the Wilderness. I remember it from my art degree at Liverpool John Moores and it looks like this - 


I just think it's amazing. I'll look for some more information and the artists and artworks tomorrow. Now bed zzzzzzzzzz.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CDF'S raintings are powerful and evocative and the painting by F E Church is stunning.

David Bath said...

I think so too! Thanks for the comment! It's been years since I looked at them, but I was just thinking about them.