Tuesday 7 June 2011

Elbow


Lippy kids on the corner again
Lippy kids on the corner begin
Settling like crows
Though I never perfected the simian stroll
The cigarette senate was everything then

Do they know those days are golden
Build a rocket boys

One long June
I came down from the trees
and kerbstone cool
You were a freshly painted angel
Walking on walls
Stealing booze and hour long hungry kisses
And nobody knew me at home anymore

Build a rocket boys 


I love Elbow and this song. It's off their last album. I got into Elbow a bit late (despite seeing them do a very tiny gig at Glastonbury, previously). I couldn't pick a favourite line. They're all perfect. I wasn't such a rebellious teen! But it still conjures up images being that age. Here's a paragraph that someone called 'niteflite01' on songmeanings.com - 

The song was written in defense of the British teenager, and the tabloid press's criticism of youngsters who lurk around on street corners attired in hooded sweatshirts. Guy Garvey explained that it's a reaction to "the anti-hoody s*** that goes on in the media, the thought that if you hang around on a street corner you're a criminal."

Although I always say how horrible kids are, it's nice to have someone standing up for them. Viva Guy Garvey. He's Radio 6 shows great too. 

No comments: